Upside-Down Banana-Walnut French Toast
Write a review
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 medium bananas, sliced
- 1 loaf (about 1 lb) sliced unfrosted firm cinnamon bread
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar, if desired
- 1Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and walnuts until smooth. Gently stir in bananas. Spoon mixture into baking dish.
- 2Reserve ends of bread for another use because they don't soak up the egg mixture very well. Arrange 2 layers of bread on banana mixture, tearing bread to fit if needed.
- 3In medium bowl, beat eggs, milk and vanilla with wire whisk until well blended. Pour over bread. Cover tightly; refrigerate at least 1 hour but no longer than 24 hours.
- 4Heat oven to 325°F. Uncover; bake 45 to 55 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve portions upside down, spooning sauce from bottom of dish over each serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.